A Small Lesson I Learned From My Youngest Son
Today, I want to talk with you about something that seems very small when we are young but becomes one of the most important parts of life when we grow older.
That is Promise.
When I was a child, I thought a promise was something I could cancel anytime by simply saying, "I'm sorry."
If something unexpected happened, I believed those two words could fix everything.
My eight year old son still thinks that way sometimes.
There have been weekends when he happily walked to the playground because he believed his friend would be there.
He waited.
He looked around again and again.
Then he quietly came home because his friend never showed up.
Children often forgive things like that.
They become friends again the next day as if nothing happened.
That is one of the beautiful parts of childhood.
But life changes as we become adults.
The meaning of our words becomes much heavier.
People begin to remember not only what we say but also whether we do what we said we would do.
That is when growing up truly begins.
Why Trust Begins With Keeping Your Word
One thing I have learned through work and life is that relationships are built on trust.
Trust does not suddenly appear because someone is talented, funny, or successful.
It grows little by little when people realize they can depend on you.
Researchers who study human relationships have long found that trust becomes stronger when actions consistently match words.
That sounds simple, but it changes everything.
If you become an adult who often breaks plans, arrives late without caring, or easily forgets what you promised, people will slowly stop depending on you.
They may still smile at you.
They may still talk with you.
But deep inside, they will hesitate before giving you important opportunities or responsibilities.
I have seen this happen many times.
The people who earned lasting respect were not always the smartest people in the room.
They were often the ones who quietly kept their Promise, even when it was inconvenient.
That kind of person becomes someone others naturally want beside them.
Even Small Words Can Become a Promise
In Korea, people often say, "Let's have a meal sometime."
Many people use those words as simple politeness.
But I have always tried to think differently.
If I have said those words once or twice, I usually contact that person again and actually arrange a meal together.
Why?
Because once words leave your mouth, someone else may hear them as a real promise.
You may have meant nothing serious.
The other person may have quietly believed you.
That is why I try to speak carefully.
Before saying yes, I ask myself whether I can truly do it.
Before making plans, I make sure I have enough time.
Keeping small promises teaches your heart to keep bigger ones later.
Over time, people begin to describe you with one simple sentence.
"I can trust that person."
There are few compliments in life that are more valuable than those words.
Your career becomes stronger.
Your friendships become deeper.
Even your family feels safer because they know your words have meaning.
The Kind of Adult I Hope You Become
My dear child,
You may not have parents beside you every day.
Life may have already asked you to become stronger than many people around you.
But there is one choice that will always belong to you.
You can decide what kind of adult you will become.
Do not make promises you cannot keep.
Whether it is with a friend, a coworker, or someone you love, speak honestly instead of making empty promises.
People usually forgive honesty.
They rarely forget broken trust.
Every time you keep your Promise, you are quietly building the future version of yourself.
Brick by brick.
Choice by choice.
Word by word.
One day, people will not remember every conversation they had with you.
They may not remember every gift you gave them.
But they will remember one thing.
You always meant what you said.
That is the kind of adult I hope you become.
And even if no one has ever told you this before, let me be the first.
I believe you can become someone whose words are worth believing.
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments