Today, I want to talk about something that took me many years to understand.
It is called Boundary Keeping Relationships.
Sometimes people cross the line simply because they feel close to each other.
Family members say hurtful things because they think they can.
Friends make jokes that quietly wound someone.
People ask questions that are too personal and call it concern.
The workplace can become the same.
When you spend years with coworkers, you naturally become close.
You eat together.
You share coffee and late-night meals.
You celebrate birthdays and sometimes even meet each other's families.
I had relationships like that too.
But after many years, I realized there was always a wall that was different from the one between childhood friends.
A company exists so people can work together and earn a living.
It is not a place built to create lifelong friendships.
Understanding this difference can protect both your work and your heart.
When Being Too Close Makes Work Harder
I once led an advertising project worth about one hundred thousand dollars.
For our organization, it was a very important project.
One of my coworkers forgot to complete a checklist that had to be reviewed before production.
Because of that single mistake, we faced the possibility of creating the entire advertisement again.
As the project manager, it was my responsibility to solve the problem and make sure it would never happen again.
I should have addressed the mistake directly and taken proper action.
But that coworker and I were very close.
I hesitated.
I worried about hurting our relationship.
In the end, I quietly carried much of the burden myself.
The work became heavier.
The stress became mine.
And the problem was never fully corrected.
That experience taught me something painful.
When relationships cross healthy boundaries, good decisions become difficult.
Sometimes kindness turns into avoidance.
Sometimes friendship prevents responsibility.
And sometimes we end up carrying problems that do not belong to us.
Why Privacy Also Needs Protection
Boundary Keeping Relationships matter for another reason.
They protect your private life.
When work and personal life become mixed together, work slowly enters every corner of your day.
Your worries become office conversations.
Your family stories become topics during lunch.
Your personal struggles become information that everyone seems to know.
I have seen people become uncomfortable because everyone in the office knew details they never intended to share.
Even in jobs that require fairness and accountability, being too close can create difficult situations.
A person may feel pressure to ignore a problem because it involves someone they care about.
Relationships should never force you to choose between honesty and friendship.
That is a heavy burden for anyone.
The Kindness of Keeping a Line
Please do not misunderstand me.
Warm relationships at work are important.
If you spend years inside an organization, you need trust, kindness, and people who encourage you.
But being close and crossing boundaries are not the same thing.
Respect another person's privacy.
Do not ask every question that comes to your mind.
Do not expect special treatment because you are friendly.
Finish work as work.
Offer help when someone needs it.
Listen when someone wants to talk.
But also allow them to keep a private space that belongs only to them.
I believe the longest relationships are not the ones where people know everything about each other.
They are the ones where people respect each other's invisible lines.
Dear child, if you someday work in an office, remember this.
You do not need to build walls around your heart.
You only need doors with locks that you can open and close wisely.
That is the quiet strength of Boundary Keeping Relationships.
And sometimes, keeping a small distance is the gentlest way to stay together for a very long time.
.png)
.png)

Comments